Friday, February 20, 2009

Chicken Rolls

This recipe is one that my kids will eat anywhere, anytime. They love it, and it is soooo easy!

Chicken Rolls

2 cooked chicken breasts, diced or shredded
8 oz cream cheese, softened (I buy Philadelphia brand, reduced fat)
2 cans Pillsbury crescent rolls (I buy reduced fat)
salt to taste

In medium sized mixing bowl, mix chicken with cream cheese. Roll out crescent rolls. Separate rolls into rectangles made up of 2 rolls. Each can yields 4 rectangles. Put 1/8 of mixture in center of each rectangle. Fold over and press edges closed. Pinch closed any gaps in the perforated line between rolls of each rectangle. Place on a baking sheet with a few inches of space around each one and bake as directed on can of crescent rolls. Sometimes I find that they need an extra couple of minutes to fully cook since they have filling inside. This is the short cut method. I have also made this using yeast dough that I made and let rise, then rolled out. I like homemade dough better, but my husband and kids seem to prefer the Pillsbury crescent rolls. I serve this with salad or a green veggie. You can get inventive and make other types of filling for these. Pizza toppings would be a great filling.

Update: The last few times I have made this, I made as described in the original recipe with the addition of about 3/4 cup frozen, chopped spinach and 1/2 tsp garlic powder. In a glass dish, I microwave the spinach until it is warm, then add in the cream cheese and microwave a minute more to soften it, then add the garlic powder, and chicken. My kids, when asked, say they like the spinach chicken rolls better than the plain chicken rolls.

3 comments:

  1. Mmm... those sound easy and great! Good thing I saw this today... I'm just making my weekly shopping list now and I'll be sure to pick up the cream cheese and crescent rolls to make this! I love introducing my kids to new, kid-friendly recipes. I get stuck in a rut, so often!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I have a question... so this is a freezer friendly recipe... what do you do to reheat? Do you just microwave, or do you prefer the oven. I know, simple and stupid question, but I've never cooked to freeze before... and I'm clueless. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The only part of this recipe that I freeze is the chicken. I love finding kid pleasing recipes that require cooked chicken or ground beef and only take a few minutes to make if you start with cooked meat. I usually get my chicken out of the freezer and microwave it for 3-4 minutes at half power to defrost it. I always use glass in the microwave, never plastic. Plastic that gets heated can release toxic chemicals into your food. A lifetime of that can lead to cancers later in life.

    ReplyDelete